Scenario: You have 2 coupons available for use; 10% off the order or free shipping. However, you only want the customer to be able to use one or the other but not both. The following set up will prevent the customer from using both. In this set up, if the customer tries to use both coupons, they will only get 10% off.
To do this, we're going to use Special Codes in Order Rules instead of coupons.
Note: For this to work, one of coupons must be an amount off (either percentage or dollar amount).
- Create an Order Rule using a Special Code using an Item Number for the coupon giving the discounted amount
- Follow the instructions here for creating a Special Code using an Item Number
- Create an Order Rule using a Special Code without an Item Number for the coupon giving the Free Freight
- Follow the instructions here for creating a Special Code without an Item Number
- Add another Trigger to this Order Rule
- Trigger: Item
- Criteria: Enter the item number from step 1 above (not the Special Code)
- Inverted: CHECKED (NOTE: This is very crucial for this to work properly)
You now have 2 order rules. The first one will take 10% off the order whenever the Special Code from step 1 is added to the order. The second one will give free freight if the Special Code from step 2 is added to the order, but only if the item from step 1 is not in the cart.