To get the QuickBooks Desktop Connector setup and running properly you will need to perform the following actions:
- Verify that you can login to QuickBooks Desktop from this work station with the admin user
- Create a blank new SQL database using the BirdDog engine
- Setup the QuickBooks Desktop Connector
- Run connectors to download initial data from QuickBooks Desktop to your BirdDog database
- Update the BirdDog database Schema to match QuickBooks Desktop
- Populate Connector data with default information
- Setup a job to automate pushing subsequent QuickBooks Desktop changes up to the BirdDog database
Verify that QuickBooks Desktop is accessible
Verify that you can open the QuickBooks Desktop company that you want to integrate to BirdDog with the Admin user and password, leave QuickBooks Desktop open.
Create a blank new SQL database
BirdDog requires Microsoft SQL. The customer will either need to provide us with an existing Microsoft SQL instance to install to, or we can install the free version known as SQL Express.
To generate the new database properly, you will need to perform the following actions.
- Create a Blank Database in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
- Open the SQL script provided to you by BirdDog, then search for *DATABASENAME* and replace this (including the asterisks) with your new database name.
- Run this script against that database. Be advised that the SQL Server Management Studio current database dropdown list automatically defaults to master so watch out for that.
Setup the QuickBooks Desktop Connector
To configure Enterprise for Windows to use QuickBooks Desktop, you need:
- Ensure this Enterprise for Windows instance is installed on a machine that has access to and can successfully run the QuickBooks Desktop server installation.
- Go to Maintain > Setup > Connector Accounts
- Click Add
- Enter your QuickBooks Desktop Credentials
- Type: QuickBooks Desktop should be selected in this dropdown list
- Path and File Name: needs to be something like \\QuickBooks\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 21.0\Company\My Company\My Company.qbw
- All Other Fields: All other fields should be left empty at this time.
- Once you are satisfied with your setup, click Save and then Close
Run the QuickBooks Desktop Connector for Initial Data
During initial configuration and anytime you want to force the process after that you can run the connector manually:
- Enterprise for Windows > Processes > Run Connectors
- This will communicate the inital to/from the BirdDog database
Update The BirdDog Database Schema To Match QuickBooks
To make sure that everything is setup correctly inside the database, close Enterprise for Windows entirely at this point and restart it. When it boots up against the database you just made the above changes to, the software will also finalize any 'under-the-hood' revision-level changes specific to QuickBooks Desktop so the database conforms to our system requirements.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, login as Admin
- A popup will appear when you run connectors as noted above, asking for access permission. Provide it.
Finish the QuickBooks Desktop Connector Setup
Now you need to update the existing QuickBooks Desktop connector with the missing info we skipped earlier:
- Go to Maintain > Setup > Connector Accounts
- Select the QuickBooks Desktop connector you just setup
- Click Edit
- Populate the Customer Type, Ship Via, Tax Schedule, Tax Liability and Location options via the dropdown lists. These will be the customer defaults in QuickBooks when they're brought down from BirdDog (or other connector account, ala Service Pro) to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Price Level Special Note: Many QuickBooks environments do not have a Price Level setup. This is required for the connector to function as it tracks with the Customer Type in BirdDog. To set one up quickly, in QuickBooks:
- List | Price Level List
- Right-Click and select New.
- Name this something simple like BD01 or PC.
- Rerun the connector and you should have a Customer Type in the dropdown list.
- Notify Email: Email address to receive activity reports from the connector.
- Notify Verbosity: Use this dropdown list to setup how frequently you want to receive notifications:
- All - receive email alerts every time the connector runs, regardless of activity
- Activity - receive email alerts when something is uploaded to or downloaded from QuickBooks
- Errors - only receive alerts when the connector encounters errors
- None - receive no email alerts ever
Create the Job
To ensure BirdDog keeps the data flowing between QuickBooks Desktop and Service Pro automatically you will need to:
- Go to Maintain > Jobs
- Click on the Schedule New Job button
- Select Run Connectors in the Job dropdown list
- Schedule the job according to how frequently you want it to run (for example, every hour or at a certain time each day.)